Thursday, October 13, 2005

Cold Weather "Advice"

With the colder weather fastly approaching, I'd like to share a few things that I change to help cope with the colder temps:

  • First and foremost, cold weather all on it's own can sap the moisture from both your body and skin. With the increase of people who have converted to central air/forced hot air, PLEASE take my advice on this one, it is ABSOLUTELY essential to both your sinuses and skin to invest in a cool mist humidifier. Additionally, you MUST change your skin care products. Even I, whom happens to posses the world's oilest skin, encounter dry skin during the colder months. Invest in a good face and body moisturizer. Most people need to switch to a richer moisturizer than the one they use during the spring and fall months.
  • (I'm shelling out this "advice" in no particular order, so bear with me please!!!) Shoveling, the world's most hated chore, should be done frequently in order to avoid bone chill, hypotherma, back strain, and all the other multitudes of lovley ailments that shoveling can provide. Personally, my husband snow plows, and like the shoemaker whose family is shoeless, the last thing my husband wants to do when he returns home is move more snow, so I have become quite the little shoveling expert. I suggest a light PLASTIC shovel and depending on how quickly the snow is accumulating, I suggest going out every time the ground gets recovered.
  • Sounds dumb I know, but for the love of God people, invest in those extremely ugly waterproof boots. Wear some hats and gloves. Why mess with the germ demons. So you look like a dork, you think the hottie down the street looks any better bundled up like the Michelin man. Put your vanitly aside. TRUST me on this one.
  • LIP BALM.....LEARN, LIVE IT, LOVE IT!!! Sorry folks, but dry, cracked bloodied lips....don't care who you are, they're down right disgusting.
  • Another tidbit of "advice" worth heeding........................turn down the heat at night. Having a four year old, which by definition means I spend more time in the doctor's office, has at least taught me that much. Not only does this move save your sinuses and skin, but it also provides a more restful night's sleep. Your body naturally warms itself while sleeping and the pediatrician swears that having the heat NO HIGHER than 69 degrees at night will also lessen the incidence of colds. The heat dries out nasal passages leaving them more prone to infection.
  • Another "duh" tidbit, but if you are able, warm up the car 10-15 minutes before you head out. Not just for your comfort, but also for the "comfort of your engine". This little tidbit comes compliments of Mr. Doron Sauer, my boss.
  • Also compliments of Mr. Sauer, be sure to check the tires on your vehicle before snow season begins, nobody wants to have to purchase snow tires in the height of snow season.
  • In order to cut down on utility costs, invest in a programable thermostat. My house has two serperate climate control zones, so when I leave for work, I have my upstairs thermostat programmed to drop the temperature. Who the heck is up there all day???? Why waste the money heating it. Likewise, I have the thermostat programmed to turn the heat up around 6pm so that when it's time for bed, it's nice and cozy in the bedrooms. (Yes, I follow my advice, the thermostat is programmed to turn the heat back down at 10pm and then up again a 4:30am)
  • If you own an older home that has plaster walls, consider having insulation "blown-in". This is somewhat costly, but is well worth the investment. My husband and I had this done last spring and can not be happier with the results.

Hope these little tidbits have given you something to think about, and if anyone has anything else to contribute, by all means people, POST UP!!!!

To view the line of skin care products that I personally use, please visit:

www.HMaggio-pure-skin-care.com

To view the fine collection of quality, pre-owned automobiles that Mr. Sauer has available for sale, please visit:

www.CKAUTOS.COM

You'll be ABSOLUTELY AMAZED by what Mr. Sauer can provide you, for your money. CHECK IT OUT!!!

No comments: